This list contains some resources if you are interested in reading more in the area of human sexuality. All but one of the items are written from a Christian perspective, and we've intentionally included a range of viewpoints within that. All of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) documents and the other articles can be found online at the links given. There will also be printed copies available in the church office for those who are not accustomed to using the Internet. All of the books are available on Amazon.com. One copy of each has been purchased for the church library. If you have questions about any of these readings, please contact one of the co-pastors.
ECC Guideline Documents
- “Biblical Authority and Christian Freedom,” Covenant Committee on Freedom and Theology, 1963
- “Freedom and Responsibility: Dissent and Covenant Clergy: A Resource for Pastoral Reflection”
- “Guidelines for Covenant Clergy and Congregations Regarding Human Sexuality” (edited version 2015 with some changes)
- “Human Sexuality” (resolution), 1996
- “Human Sexuality and the Ethic of Marriage and Singleness: Towards a Biblical & Theological Discernment of God in Human Sexuality,” Report to the 2007 Covenant Annual Meeting by the Board of the Ordered Ministry
- “Human Sexuality Guidelines for Ministers” (original version, 2010)
- “In Over My Heart: Friendship and the LGBTQ Church,” by Michelle Clifton-Soderstrom (#1 in series)
- “In Over My Head: Freedom and LGBTQ Inclusion,” by Michelle Clifton-Soderstrom (#2)
- “In Over My Spirit: Faithful Dissent on Full LGBTQ Inclusion,” by Michelle Clifton-Soderstrom (#3)
- “Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality: Answers to Your Questions for a Better Understanding,” by the American Psychological Association
- Bible, Gender, Sexuality, by James Brownson (Eerdmans, 2013)
- Changing Our Mind, by David Gushee (David Crumm Media, 2015)
- Homosexuality and the Christian: A Guide for Parents, Pastors, and Friends, by Mark A. Yarhouse (Bethany House Publishers, 2010)
- Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate, by Justin Lee (Jericho Books, 2013)
- Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality, by Wesley Hill (Zondervan, 2010)
- Welcoming but Not Affirming: An Evangelical Response to Homosexuality, by Stanley J. Grenz (Westminster John Knox Press, 1998)
A list of all the resources can be downloaded for print here.
Human Sexuality Survey and Discussion
During the months of August and September 2016, the Human Sexuality Task Force held small-group sessions in church members' homes and in the church itself to discuss the results of a survey taken by 167 members and friends of the congregation earlier in the summer. This document gives a summary of those discussions.